8.05.2010

Can a blog burst with gratitude?

What a wonderful couple of days this has been for Books for Keeps. I'm on a gratitude-induced high and want to share the love.

Mom is getting in on the action! She's already sacrificed her PaperbackSwap and BookMooch accounts to the cause. Now she's scouting her neighborhood used book store for copies of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. AND she's investigating the possibility of a Macon book drive. Fingers crossed!

Kay in Greenville, SC has been collecting books for us for a couple of months now. She was one of Books for Keeps' earliest supporters, and I love it when I get emails with the subject line "More, more, more books!" You brighten my day, Kay!

Cindy, with First American Bank right here in Athens, has arranged for Books for Keeps to be the focus of the bank's "Done in a Day" project in early 2011. What a great idea: a company-wide philanthropy project that can be done in... well... a day. Cindy has also offered some marketing support that I'll desperately need in the near future.

Whitney, also here in Athens, is helping me work on book drop locations. HUGE sigh of relief. And she's sharing her friends with me - an act of kindness that words can't convey. You're the best, Whitney!

Mary, the Family Resource Coordinator at Alps Road Elementary, has helped me clarify my thinking and identify options for giving more books per child to those we can identify as seriously in need. I have more homework to do before that becomes a reality, but don't worry, I'm on it!

Anisa, with Clarke County Schools, has offered her support with kicking off a book drive. Another huge sigh of relief. I'm meeting her next week to pick her brain and finalize some details.

Liz, a PaperBackSwap member, donated a generous batch of points, all of which will be used to obtain copies of the elusive Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. PBS points are hard to earn (some members even sell their points... for $3+ each!), and I can't tell you how much I appreciate them.

Michelle, up in Canada, found a stash of Animorphs books and purchased them for Books for Keeps. Michelle is part of Books for Keeps' little BookMooch circle o' friends. She gives us great point deals too, but think about it... this woman in Canada is thinking of us here in Athens as she visits thrift stores in search of books for her own children. Wow.

Alexa and her mom Elinor have a box of books started all the way over in L.A. Alexa passed on the Books for Keeps bug to her mom, and I can't wait to see what they send us. Alexa is also responsible for the handful of copies I have of Diary of Wimpy Kid.

Sayge, in Watkinsville GA, is a Freecycler who learned about Books for Keeps when I freecycled a sewing machine from her. She remembered us this week when she cleaned out her kids' rooms; I'll be picking up her books this weekend.

Have I forgotten anyone? If I have, please forgive me. And know this: I appreciate every single book, every single idea, every single point/credit, every single offer of assistance, no matter how large or small. I can't do this alone. Without y'all, Books for Keeps is nothing.

So thank you from the bottom of my heart, and on behalf of the children who will become book-owners this year and don't even know it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.