8.25.2010

What If?

My meeting with the folks from Whatever It Takes left me feeling inspired. What if I took a break from day to day book handling, counting, etc. and did a little bit of dreaming? What could happen?

Well, the first thing that happened is I woke up at 4am thinking about it. By 6am I had a wish list that sort of scares me. Some highlights:

What if Jeff Kinney, author of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, came to Athens and spoke to our elementary school students? His favorite books, how he comes up with his characters and story lines, how he became an author...

What if Books for Keeps had a Book Mobile, just like some libraries, but one where books are given, not loaned? Handing out books in low-income neighborhoods, rescuing kids from the summer doldrums, increasing the odds they'll keep reading...

What if a group of students adopted Books for Keeps as a class project, and took care of my huge "when there's time" list that never gets enough attention? Free books, publicity, social media; so many opportunities I'm missing...

What if Books for Keeps had somebody else on the ground here in Athens, sharing my obsession and lightening my load? I started with wishing I could clone myself, but decided to imagine setting my control issues aside and having a dream partner who's just as committed, but smarter.

What if Books for Keeps could give 12 books to all 12,000 students in Athens?

That last thought brought me back to reality. I mean, I'm still not sure how I got into this in the first place, where it's going, what I should do next. 144,000 books? Give me a break. And there's that niggling little issue of seeking gainful employment...

I decided to share these dreams with you because I want somebody to keep thinking "What If?" For now, I've got books to sort.

2 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? With the attention and love and determination Books For Keeps has gotten so far, I have no doubt at all that you could do 144,000 books!

    You know my "what if"? What if every single poverty-ridden town in the US had a dedicated Books For Keeps project to make sure ALL kids in America grow up to be wonderful happy readers. I think that may be even more ambitious then your what ifs! lol I can dream, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What if Jeff Kinney, author of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, came to Athens and spoke to our elementary school students? His favorite books, how he comes up with his characters and story lines, how he became an author..."

    Why not write and ask him?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.