11.03.2010

Oh. My. Gosh.

I seriously don't remember a four-week period where I've been so busy, so over-extended, and so stressed... well, without getting paid for it. But it's so worth it! I'm reminded of a favorite George Bernard Shaw quote:

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy."

The "force of nature" part, as applies to Books for Keeps, is not me - it's you. Books for Keeps is gaining momentum at a rate I never envisioned and kind of can't keep up with. Summer slide is the enemy and YOU are making Books for Keeps a force that is surely unstoppable.

I woke up in the middle of the night agonizing over how many people I have not thanked properly for their help in the last month. Then it occurred to me: what a great problem to have. So many people to thank that it's impossible to keep up. And I was reminded yet again, that gratitude is my favorite emotion.

I have video (but no idea how to get it onto the web), pictures, success stories, volunteers and book donors ... so much to tell you about. Two parties, two volunteer book sorting days, a Web site in the planning stages, upcoming book drives, a sort room that's literally bursting at the seams with books, and some of the most generous, most incredible people I've ever encountered in my life.

I WILL put it in writing and post it. I hate that it's all in my head right now. But I remain, as always, so humbled and grateful for your support. Yes, we are going to stomp summer slide and help a tremendous number of kids, but there's a personal side. My soul is being restored in the process and I see the world - and its inhabitants - in a way I never have before. I'm exhausted, sore from head to toe, kind of brain-dead, and THRILLED, maybe even honored, to be in such a state.

So to all of you who have gone unrecognized, unthanked: you are appreciated and valued. You are making a difference. Books for Keeps can't do this without you. I can't do this without you.

Melaney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.