1.27.2011

11,000 books, and still counting...

The tally is up to 11,426 after Saturday's volunteer sort day, and there are still books waiting to be counted. That's 11,426 books that have been inspected, sorted by age, and boxed for distribution in May.

Thank you Kim, Cathy, Aspen, Morgan & Leigh! Your help made a world of difference in slogging through the backlog of books waiting for inspection. And thank you Bayne, for dismantling and moving the book shelves out of harm's way, and rigging a tarp system only an engineer could conceive.

Our books are temporarily safe from future roof leaks, and I'm looking for a new space. We're completely out of storage space and we've outgrown the sort room too. What a wonderful, welcome problem to have! Of course I have no ideas (or funds) for how to solve it, but I trust our needs will be met in some way I haven't thought of yet.

We don't count the adult books as we box them, but I'd guess there are 7,000-10,000 of those too. Whitney, Leigh and Cindy are organizing a book sale, and I'm so hopeful it'll be complete in time for me to purchase books for the May distribution. I'm especially thankful that these women are handling everything. All I have to do is show up and sell books. Thank you!

In other news: we're a registered non-profit corporation in Georgia; thank you Celia and IntelliGRACS Group for covering the cost! This means we can file for 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, making us eligible for tax deductible contributions, grants, etc. It's so close I can almost taste it, but it's going to take a while.

I met two wonderful women from Girl Scouts of America, Christina and Jessica, when they came by to drop off books from a December book drive. I took the opportunity to pick their brains about what kids like to read and got some great recommendations. Thank you Christina, Jessica, and the Girl Scouts!

And another shout out to Shayne and City Salon & Spa here in Athens: they continue to serve as a drop-off location for us, and Shayne is forever toting books around in her car for us. We got more great books last week and I appreciate the ongoing support.

Finally - an impromptu trip to Atlanta netted hundreds of great books from two Goodwill stores. Talk about fun! Sadly, the Books for Keeps thrift store fund is completely tapped out. Please help spread the word about Books for Keeps, to help us increase our support. I buy books at Goodwill for $.75 each, so a little goes a long way, and donations are tax deductible if made through our sponsor, Family Connection. Here are instructions for donating.

Overall it was a really good week for Books for Keeps. Please keep the books coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.