6.05.2012

Thrift Store Tour!

The crazy rush to collect the last books we needed for our May 2012 program was a success - 13,000 books in 7 weeks! With that said, I hope NEVER to need to do it again.  I'm starting early on 2013's books... with the first-ever Books for Keeps Thrift Store Tour. My goal: 5,000 books for $3,750.

I have friends and family who will house me in various parts of Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida.  So I'm shopping thrift stores en route to each of their homes! One trip will be through Atlanta up to Tullahoma, Chattanooga, and Knoxville TN, then back down through Ashville.  Another will be south through Milledgeville, Macon and Warner Robins. My final trip will be through south Georgia en route to St. Simon's Island - still working on that one.

Check out this map. (It might take a minute for all the stops to load.)


View Books for Keeps Thrift Store Tour in a larger map

I've only put Goodwill and Salvation Army on it so far, and it's easily over 100 stops.  The independent thrift stores are harder to find; so many pop up in search results but I have no idea if they have books or not. So I'll stick close to the Goodwill and Salvation Army locations and look for stores near them.

Do you want to get in on the action?  There are a couple of things you can do:

1) Donate funds to help purchase books.  I'm not sure where else $1 can do so much good! Send a tax deductible check to PO Box 49761, Athens GA 30604 or click the Donate button at the top-right side of the page.

2) Share our story on your Facebook page, and ask your friends to help. 

3) Suggest thrift stores near the locations on my map.  I'm looking for stores with great book selections and low prices.  Send your suggestions to givethembooks@gmail.com.


I'm excited about the Thrift Store Tour, and will even try to learn to Tweet for the occasion.  If I can raise the funds, my target trip dates will be in late June and early July.

Send your donations in and stay tuned for details.  We need 30,000 books this year, and my stomach/heart/head can't take another last minute inventory crunch...my goal is to have them all by December 31st.  Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.