11.07.2012

The Wimpy Kid Fund

COUNT:  Goal: 500 books -- Have: 313 books -- Need: 187 books

NEW: Donate 10 copies ($30.50) in someone's name, and we'll send them a letter letting them know. Just be sure to include their name/address on your donation. 

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series releases a new title every November, but Books for Keeps has never (ever!) had an opportunity to get them for the students we serve.  Every May, the children ask for the newest DWK by name, and we are generally a few years behind. 

For the first time ever, First Book is offering the November release at a price that's somewhere close to our price range - $3.05! Unfortunately, while close to our price range, it's still outside of our price range, and we must raise additional funds to purchase it. 


Will you make a donation towards the purchase of this book?  $3.05 for the newest book in the series that has been our #1 most-requested book since 2009 - what a weapon in our arsenal to reach reluctant readers and end summer slide.  Hope you will help.

How to Donate:
Send your tax-deductible donations to Books for Keeps at PO Box 49761, Athens, GA 30604, or use the PayPal button at the top-right side of this page. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I just heard about your inspiring project on Facebook through Jane Self. I love the idea and the concept. As an avid reader and author I know how much a difference being surrounded by books has made in my life. So, I'll be donating via PayPal in just a few minutes.

    I'd also like to offer another way to be of service. Let me give just a little background on myself:

    I became an avid reader of fantasy and science fiction as an eleven-year-old boy when my next-door neighbor, who was a children's librarian, took pity on my single-parent mom. Bored out of my gourd with no one to play with but good 'ol mom, I drove her crazy until Mrs. Crabtree brought home a stack of books she knew would hook a young boy and give my mom some relief. It worked. I've been hooked ever since.

    I went on to become a small animal vet (attending UGA in Athens, GA) & practice for over 15 years before selling my practice and turning my sight on writing and life coaching which gets to the point of my post.

    A couple years ago I started a YA/Middle School series entitled The Zak Bates Eco-Adventure Series with the first book, Dominion Over All. I believe the kids in Athens would enjoy meeting Zak as he travels the world with Ra-Kit the magic cat and Sampson the flying dog helping to save our environment.

    If this is of interest to you, I'll be happy to donate ten quality paperback copies of Dominion Over All. I realize this is only a small drop in the bucket of what you need, but perhaps together we can find other authors who would be open to doing the same and before you know it the bucket may well overflow. Let me know if you're interested. You can contact me through either www.lifeonpurpose.com or www.wbradfordswift.com

    And keep up the good work. You're making a tremendous difference.

    BRAD

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.